Safety Break-away Couplings
Safety Break-away couplings are used to prevent pull away accidents, protect terminal and loading/unloading equipment and eliminated unwanted product release. The break-away couplings has a diverted breaking point which will break at a determined break-load where upon the internal valves will automatically close on both sides. This will in a longer time frame minimize down time, save money, equipment and the environment.
The Safety Break-away couplings are available as Industrial and Marine type.
Typically installed into loading arm and hose assemblies, where at least one side of the coupling is attached to a rig and fixed point.
Marine Safety Break-aways are designed to only release by inline pull and used between two strings of hose.
Safety break-away Coupling function
The SBCouplings, Safety break-away couplings has three external break bolts. In the case of axial tension all of the bolts take up the force corresponding to the break force on the hose with a safety margin.
How it works - before and after emergency disconnect
Non-axial forces concentrate the tension forces more strongly on one bolt, so that the safety break-away coupling reacts in a natural way to the reduction of the hose break forces.
Before emergency disconnect
The safety break-away valve consists of two halves, each with a valve that has a o-ring seal.
After emergency disconnect
When the SBCouplings separate, it allows the valves to close. The two valves closes rapidly, minimizing exposure to personnel and the environment.
This is a completely different type of coupling than, for example, Dry Break Couplings.
Features and Applications
- Passive security against situations where a hose or loading arm could be subjected to inadvertent excessive loads.
- Design features are a simple mechanism and no loose components which could belost after release.
- Operates independently of shut off safety system and does not require an externalpower source.
- Easy to reset on site with one person High flowrate / low pressure drop
- Very low loss, positive shut-off of both coupling halves results in minimum product loss.
- Lightweight and robust design.
- Available with ANSI/DIN flanges or threaded (BSP or NPT).
- LPG, Butane, Propane and Blends.
- Co2, DME, LNG
Chemicals and Hydrocarbons
- Aromatics, Ethylenes and Propylenes, VCM, Alcohols and Acids, Diesel, Jet A1.
- Refrigerants Forane.
Oil and Petrochemical
- Bulk Loading/Unloading, Road Tankers
- Rail Tankers, Process Product Transfer
- Tank Cleaning
Marine and Offshore
- Ship to Rig Fluid Transfer
- Ship to Shore Fluid Transfer
- Ship to Ship Fluid Transfer
- Bunkering, Marine Refuelling
- Hydraulic Oils, Inks, Paints, Solvents, Locomotive Fuelling, Helicopter Fuelling
- Food processing industry
- Plant engineering and construction
- Power plant construction, Food processing industry